In 2016, there were over 14,000 incidents of auto theft in BC alone. Car theft is on the rise and the Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) has prepared a top ten list of most stolen vehicles and items to help you better prepare and prevent auto crime from happening to you.
Top Stolen Vehicles
Top Stolen Items
- Ford F Series Trucks
- Honda Civic and CRX
- Dodge Trucks
- GMC / Chevy Trucks
- Ford E Series Vans
- Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokee
- Acura Integra
- Toyota Corolla
- Honda CRV
- Dodge Caravan
- Smartphones/ Cellphones
- Personal Electronics (Laptops, tablets, GPS)
- Work Tools
- Credit Cards and Identification
- Stereo Equipment
- Cash and Change
- Car Parts and Accessories
- Garage Door Openers
Many people wait until it’s too late before thinking about preventative measures against auto crime. Take initiative by using common tactics to protect your vehicle and belongs. Some common tips include:
- Use anti-theft device such as an alarm system or steering lock to help make it more difficult for thieves to break into your car. With higher risk for thieves many will look for an easier target.
- Don’t leave your car running with the keys in it, not even for a minute and make sure to close all your windows and sunroofs. It only takes a few seconds for thief to swipe a few items or take your whole car.
- Don’t leave any valuables in your car, especially those listed above. If there isn’t anything to steal in your car thieves are less likely to break into your car.
- Be aware of your surroundings and park smart. This can mean parking in well-lit areas, close to entrances, and near security cameras to reduce your odds of auto crime.
- Westland Green Private Auto Insurance has a theft deductible waiver included if your vehicle is stolen or there is an attempted theft. To help give you the peace of mind, contact a Westland office today to learn more about this product.
If you ever find yourself victim to auto-theft, make sure you file a report with the police and then contact your insurance company or broker.