ICBC Auto Insurance

Your vehicle is much more than an investment in your life; it’s your freedom. Let us help navigate what auto insurance is right for you.

When you buy car insurance in BC, you will be purchasing basic mandatory coverage which is provided by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), sold through us either by email, phone or in person at any of our British Columbia locations.

As your local insurance experts for over 40 years, we know that each vehicle in BC is unique in its own way.

From those who commute to work in Abbotsford every day, to those who are out on the coast catching scenic ocean sunset views, we’ve got you covered. We understand it’s vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on what’s important in your life.

Renew your ICBC Insurance

Here’s what you need to know about ICBC online renewals:

This service allows you to renew your ICBC Autoplan insurance fully online.

  • This service is available for renewals only.
  • This service is offered for drivers who use their vehicles for pleasure, to and from work, to and from work with transit and business use. It is not currently available for delivery use or other work-based uses.
  • Online renewals are available for vehicles owned by 1 owner.
  • At this time, jointly owned vehicles will not be eligible to renew using ICBC Online. If you have a jointly owned vehicle, your local Westland Insurance broker can help you renew in person , over the phone , or by using our online renewal service.

  • Jointly owned vehicles, vehicles with multiple owners, leased vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles.
  • Policies for clients with outstanding debts
  • Policies for Temporary Operation Permits
  • Policies that have lapsed, new policies, midterm changes and cancellations

You will be able to:

  • Renew your existing coverage options
  • Update your address
  • Apply for discounts
  • Change your listed drivers
  • Change how you use your vehicle

  • Add or remove optional ICBC Products
  • Products for other insurers will not be shown (i.e. private auto coverage options, replacement cost offerings from other providers etc.)

ICBC will launch online renewals on March 17, 2022.

Clients with May 1, 2022 renewal dates forward will be able to use the new system starting on March 17th.

Renewals are the most common type of ICBC transaction and are typically very straightforward. Service offerings may expand over time.

You will be able to renew your ICBC policy up to 45 days in advance.

You will be able to pay by major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX), or by monthly payments through your bank account.

When you renew using the ICBC Online system, you will be prompted to choose your “Broker of Choice”. The system will show you up to the last three (3) broker locations that you have worked with, and you may select from this list. This is where you can select your local Westland Insurance office, and an advisor will reach out to you to review your transaction after you complete it.

Alternatively, if you’d prefer to work with your Westland Office directly, you can still renew your ICBC insurance in person , over the phone , or by using our online renewal service.

Your ICBC renewal documents will be emailed to you and you will be able to print them off on your home printer. If you do not have a printer, you can ask your local Westland Office to print the documents off for you. You can also ask that ICBC mail you a copy of your documents.

Yes, you will need to keep a paper copy of your insurance renewal in your vehicle, even if you renew online. You may print your new documents at home. If you do not have a printer, you can ask your local Westland Office to print the documents off for you. You can also ask that ICBC mail you a copy of your documents.

You will no longer need to display a decal on your BC License plate once you renew your policy. This is for renewals from May 1, 2022 and forward. You may choose to leave your existing decal on your plate, or remove it after your policy is renewed.

Clients with decals for current ICBC policies with expiry dates before April 30, 2022 should get a replacement decal from their local Westland office if theirs is lost. Decals are only not required from May 1, 2022 renewals onward.

Your ICBC insurance renewal

ICBC will mail you an insurance renewal reminder that outlines your coverage, your vehicle, the expiry date of your current policy and other important details. You’ll receive the reminder about a month before your insurance is due to expire. This will include a premium amount based on your policy’s previous coverage, listed drivers and eligible discounts.

Here at Westland Insurance we want you to be fully informed about your renewal and our team is here to answer any questions that you may have. Before your renewal date we’ll also be reaching out by email, text and automated calls to make sure that you have every opportunity to get the advice that you need for your renewal.

We want you to be fully informed about your renewal and our team is here to answer any questions that you may have. Before your renewal date we’ll also be reaching out by email, text and automated calls to make sure that you have every opportunity to get the advice that you need for your renewal.

Why Choose Westland?

We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget.  Our expert auto insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.

We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.

Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, click here.

ICBC Auto Insurance Explained

  • Loss or damage of your vehicle from insured events such as collision, upset, vandalism, theft, hail and fire.
  • Third Party Liability coverage (which is not sufficient if you should travel outside of BC).
  • Enhanced Accident Benefits which provides every British Columbian with benefits in the event of injury or death, regardless of who was at fault in an accident.
  • Underinsured Motorist protection
  • Inverse Liability
  • Protection from hit and run damages to property

In addition to this basic, mandatory coverage, there are many extended and optional coverages that you can select from, depending on your personal situation. From lowering your deductible, increasing liability and getting enhanced wage protection coverage, you can build out the car insurance policy that reflects you and the use of your vehicle. Read on to learn more about ICBC’s Autoplan products. Note that many extension and optional coverages are available from private insurance companies as well. Read more here.

Yes! We’ve built an online ICBC tool where we can assist with ICBC Autoplan quotes. One of our auto advisors will be in touch to check your details and provide you with an ICBC insurance quote.

Yes, we can assist you with ICBC Autoplan insurance renewals from the comfort of your own home! Check out our online ICBC Renewal experience and get your next renewal off your to-do list.

ICBC offers several Autoplan payment options. As Autoplan agents, Westland can take payment over the phone.

Everything to Know About Your Basic ICBC Coverage.

Another part of your auto policy is third party liability. In short, it covers you for property damage you may cause as well as vehicle damage anywhere in North America. Did you know that if you travel outside of BC, you can be sued for bodily injury and property damage? If you are in an accident outside of BC, whether another province or the United States, you can be sued which in certain circumstances could be a large sum of money.

Third party liability is the portion of your insurance coverage that protects you if you’re held legally responsible for an injury due to an accident or damage to property. This helps cover the costs of legal fees, money to settle a lawsuit and other expenses related up to the limits identified in your policy.

Included in your basic insurance policy is $200,000 third party liability with the option to increase to up to five million. Depending on the use of your vehicle you may feel confident leaving your TPL at the basic amount. If you choose to keep it at the minimum and have an accident that is over and above $200,000 you will personally be responsible for paying the difference. For example, you could be driving down a twisty mountain side road, not far-fetched in BC, and lose control and run into a business’s building. Rebuilding costs, lost wages, structural damages and more could easily cost more than $200,000. If you had higher liability you would be better covered and less likely to have to pay out of pocket.
You’re able to purchase excess TPL up to a maximum of five million dollars. If you are travelling out of province or to the United States, it would be wise to purchase higher liability due to the fact that you can be sued for bodily injury as well as property damage.

First party is the insured, so yourself. Second party is the insurer, for example if we are referring to auto insurance this would be ICBC. Third party is the person who is bringing legal action against the insurer. Therefore, if you lose control and drive into a business building, that business owner is now the third party in the equation.

Choosing your TPL will depend on where and how often you are using your vehicle and ultimately your comfort level. You always have the option to increase your third party liability.

Third party liability insurance is mandatory on all basic ICBC policies, so no matter what you will carry $200,000. To increase your coverage, stop into one of our offices and we can bump up the coverage to a comfort level that works for you.
It is so important to understand what you are liable for and how you can be properly covered! Stop in and say hi either online or at one of our many BC locations and we would be happy to help you find the best coverage for you.

What happens if you’re injured in a crash and aren’t entitled to enhanced accident benefits or the responsible driver doesn’t have the appropriate coverage to be able to pay the damages that were awarded resulting from a claim? That’s where the underinsured motorist protection comes to play. This will provide up to $1 million if you’re in an accident that results in injury or death from a driver with an underinsured vehicle. This coverage only protects you or your family in the event that you are not at-fault for the accident.

What happens if you’re in an accident? Sometimes it’s just a fender bender, but sometimes it will pause your daily routine and you’ll need medical assistance to get back to normal. Enhanced accident benefits cover costs related to medical and personal expenses if you’re injured in a crash. This includes income replacement during the time you may be unable to work due to your injuries. Enhanced accident benefits kick in regardless of who is at-fault for the accident. Even if you’re a pedestrian and not in the vehicle that caused the accident, these benefits will cover you as well. In fact, enhanced accident benefits cover those injured in the crash, whether that’s those in the vehicle or those injured due to the vehicle crash, with no overall limit.

Of course, if you’re in an accident and unable to work, you’ll need coverage to ensure you can replace what income stream usually comes in. With enhanced accident benefits, your income will be replaced to 90% of the total net income up to a maximum of $100,000, if you classify as one of the following earners:

  • Full-time
  • Part-time
  • Student
  • Temporary
  • Minor
  • Non-earner

If your income exceeds $100,000 you have the option to top up your coverage with the ICBC Top Up Policy. Connect with one of our auto advisors today for more information.

If you find yourself in an accident where a driver has crashed into your vehicle while out and about on BC roads, vehicle damage protection will kick in to cover you. One main point to this, as long as you’re no more than 25% at-fault for the accident, your premiums won’t be affected!
Under vehicle damage protection, your vehicle will be repaired up to $200,000 with no deductible involved.

We all have deductibles for our car insurance in BC, but do you really know what you’re covered for? Many people chose their deductible years ago and keep it the same each renewal year. Here’s everything you need to know about deductibles to ensure that you’re properly covered!

This liability coverage is in place to cover you for damage to your vehicle in parts of Canada and the U.S. where the law restricts you from recovering your losses from a driver who causes a crash.

Unfortunately, hit and runs that result in property damage can happen. If you have property damage resulting from a vehicle hit and run, you’re covered up to $200,000. For example, a car loses control and hits your fence knocking a section of it down. You’ll be responsible for the $750 deductible to get the repairs done, but your fence will be fixed in the end!

ICBC Optional Coverage and What You Need to Know

Comprehensive insurance covers loss or damage to your vehicle by most causes, except those covered by Collision insurance. This includes vehicle damage or loss from:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Falling or Flying Objects
  • Malicious Mischief
  • Lightning
  • Windstorm
  • Earthquake
  • Hail
  • Impact with Animals
  • Various Other Mishaps

Restrictions include vehicle contents, tires (except if stolen or if damage is a result of the losses listed above), and damage that comes as a result of mechanical breakdown, rust, corrosion, wear and tear, freezing or explosion within the combustion chamber.
Claims made under Comprehensive coverage do not affect your discount on the Claim-Rated Scale. In fact, your standing on the Claim-Rated Scale determines whether you get a discount (or pay a surcharge) on the base premium.

Collision insurance covers damage to your car from impact with another vehicle, person, object or the road surface—even if you are at fault. If needed, it also covers the costs of towing, storage, and salvage disposal. Note that it does not cover loss or damage to:

  • contents of any vehicle (other than some contents of a motor home)
  • tires, unless the damage is due to the collision
  • any damage that is a result of mechanical breakdown, rust, corrosion, wear and tear, freezing, or explosion within the combustion chamber

The type of vehicle you drive, your claim record and where you live all have an impact on premiums for collision coverage.

You know the use of your vehicle best and if you aren’t out on the road, do you need the coverages under collision? Specific perils provide protection for certain perils (risks) and only those risks. These outlined risks include:

  • Fire
  • Lightning Theft (exclusions apply)
  • Hail
  • Earthquake Windstorm
  • Civil Commotion
  • Riot
  • Explosion
  • Aircraft
  • Rising Water
  • Collison Due to Transport Vehicle on Land or Water

Deductible Options for Comprehensive & Collision Coverage

Specific to comprehensive and collision coverages is the deductible amount. Let’s go through what a deductible is and then the options you have.

Starting off simple, a deductible is an amount that you have to pay when making a claim regarding damage or theft of your vehicle. So, if you have a $200 deductible for example and you have a fender bender, you have to pay that $200 in order to get your vehicle repaired. Since some repairs can be very costly, deductibles save us a lot of money in order to get the repairs needed at a reasonable cost. You can choose to buy down your deductible, which means you will pay slightly more for your insurance but less at the time of a loss.

Look at it this way, the lower the deductible, say $200, the more it will cost annually, however, the more perils (risks) covered. Alternatively, if you choose a higher deductible such as $1,000 it will cost less annually but fewer perils are covered, and it can lead to being more expensive if you have to submit claims. Needless to say, it can add up.

For collision and comprehensive coverage, deductibles range from $300 to $2,500. Although, for vehicles of high value, you can see deductibles in the $5,000 to $15,000 range! Windshield damage claims carry a $200 deductible as long as you have a $300 comprehensive deductible. When it comes to specified perils coverage, it will always come with a $300 deductible. It’s good to note that some deductibles may not be available for your vehicle. You might also not be eligible for certain deductible amounts based on your claims history.

Whether that is paying your deductible to get your windshield replaced or you have significant car damage, your deductible applies to all. Each incident of loss requires a deductible. For example, if you have a crack in your windshield and then someone sideswipes your vehicle that would require two claims be entered and therefore two deductibles.

Yes, if it is determined that you’re at fault for the accident you will be required to pay for your deductible.

Ultimately the decision is up to you. You know your driving history and past experience the best. It may make sense to stick with the basic deductible based on the use of the vehicle, or in some cases, it may make more sense to purchase a lower deductible for a car that is being used on a more regular basis. Whatever you choose, make sure you are properly covered! If you have further questions don’t hesitate to contact us. We would love to help you out with your insurance needs and questions!

Your car might be in the repair shop—but you shouldn’t have to be stuck without a set of wheels!
If you’re in an accident that damages your vehicle, Loss of Use covers the cost of other transportation (subject to limits) while your car is being repaired. This includes:

  • Renting a vehicle
  • Hiring a taxi
  • Using public transportation

It’s good to note that a version of this coverage is also available as part of the RoadStar Package or as part of Roadside Plus.

Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP) covers you when someone else’s insurance can’t.
If you or your passengers are injured in a crash, but the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your claim, UMP covers you and anyone else riding in your vehicle. It also protects you and members of your household as pedestrians or cyclists. While the Basic Autoplan provides Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP) of up to $1 million, UMP can increase your coverage to $5 million.

If you choose not to go with the collision package but are still worried about the financial burden of a potential hit and run, this is for you. Hit and Run protection provides $200,000 worth of coverage at a standard $750 deductible.

Autoplan Payment Options: Which Is Best?

If you choose an annual policy, you have three options for payment:


  • Pay for the full year in advance without any interest charges


  • Pay for the year in parts
  • First payment will be the day the policy is renewed followed by three payments
  • First payment will be renewal date


  • Pre-authorized payment on the same date
  • Interest charged may be less than what you have on your credit card

Factors That Affect Car Insurance Rates

Do you take your vehicle to work every day? Do you take public transportation? Is your vehicle sitting during certain seasons? There are different types of vehicle use that will affect your annual premium. Here’s some more info on each to ensure you have the proper use selected for your lifestyle.

1. Driver Experience

We’ve heard it before, a good driving record is important. Especially when determining insurance premium rates. If you have a year of good driving record, it will better your discounts available, up to 40 years.

2. Crash History

It should go without being said but the more crashes you have, the higher your insurance will cost. It pays to be a safe driver!

3. Drivers of Your Vehicle

It also matters who is operating your vehicle. Their experience and crash history will impact the risk of your vehicle overall.

4. Location

Your location and where you live also determines how much you pay. British Columbia is broken up into territories, which have a rating associated to the potential risk. Each territory will have risks that can impact the likelihood of a claim. For instance, you’re more likely to have a vandalism claim in a highly populated urban area as opposed to the solitude of northern BC.

5. Use of Vehicle


    • Exactly what it sounds like; you commute to work or school in addition to the pleasure use as well
    • Most people who have this are those going to or from (or part way) to work and/or school


    • Driving includes purposes specific to business
    • For example, a taxi getting people where they need to go or a realtor showing homes across town


    • No restrictions for pleasure use like errands, taking children to school, or vacation use
    • Restricts your vehicle use to going to work no more than six times a month
    • Can’t be used for business purposes
    • Most people who have this are those who are retired, stay at home parent or on maternity leave, or those who take other forms of transportation to work or school


    • Couriers and delivery services
    • Example of a driver who needs deliver use is a Uber Eats or Skip The Dishes driver.

Frequently Asked Questions

ICBC is introducing a driver-based insurance rating model that will hold drivers more accountable for their actions on the road. This will be done by placing more importance on driver experience and accident history when determining premiums.

A driver factor is a 3 decimal number which represents your risk as a driver by considering driving experience and crash history.

Visit to find out your driver factor.

Although the senior rate class will no longer exist, seniors will also be rewarded with better discounts for their many years of driving experience.

Yes, new residents to BC will pay more for ICBC insurance for their first three years. The first year is a 15% surcharge, the second year is a 10% surcharge and the third year is a 5% surcharge. This surcharge does not apply to residents returning to BC.

Learners will not gain driving experience that count towards their driver factor, they will only start to accumulate discount once they have their Novice DL. Learners will also not have crashes go on their driving record regardless of who was at fault.

If the claim is $2000 (including deductible) or less, you are still able to repay the claim in order to protect your premium.

**Any claims after March 1, 2017, can be repaid by August 31, 2020, regardless of the amount or if your premium has already been affected.**

Yes. If you have one serious offence such as distracted driving within a three year span, the cost of your premiums may increase.

If you commit at least two minor convictions such as speeding within a three year span, the cost of your car insurance may increase.

It is important to list anyone who drives your car because if an unlisted driver causes a crash in your vehicle, you could face an Unlisted Driver Accident Premium (UDAP), a one-time financial consequence per claim.

If household members operate the vehicle at any point, they must be listed on the policy. Household members are excluded from Unlisted Driver Protection.

Unlisted Driver Protection protects you from a one-time financial consequence in the event that an unlisted occasional driver, with a valid driver’s licence, causes an accident in your car.

This coverage does not extend to household members of vehicle owners, lessees or principal drivers. This coverage also does not apply for drivers who have driven the vehicle more than 12 days in the 12 months prior to the accident or people who have already had an at-fault accident in any of the owner’s vehicles.

Yes. You can change listed drivers at any time during your policy term.

A Principal Driver is the listed individual who most frequently drives the vehicle. When setting the premium, 75% will be based on the principal driver and the other 25% will be based on the highest risk driver listed for the vehicle.

Yes. Anytime you are changing listed drivers you are able to change the principal driver as well.

If your vehicle is equipped with an Autonomous Emergency Braking system, you are eligible for a 10% discount on your basic premium.

To find out if you have AEB, you can check your ownership manual or ask your dealership.

If your vehicle is driven less than 5,000 km per year, you may eligible for low-kilometre discount of 10% off your basic premium on your next annual renewal.

Your broker can record a photo of your odometer reading when you renew this year. At the following annual renewal, if your vehicle was driven less than 5000 kilometers, a 10% discount will apply to your basic premium.

Yes, ICBC’s new rating model will apply to both basic insurance and ICBC optional insurance.

The Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) is a new way to address injury claims under $50,000. They will act as a mediator between ICBC and its customers if needed.

Chat bubble icon

We’re Here to Help

Whether you’re looking for insurance for your first home or wanting to discuss your existing policy, our team is ready to help. Connect with us today.

Get Insurance

Call us 1-833-554-2886

Need some help?


We'll help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.


Contact Us

When you need us, we’re here. Connect with us.

Contact Us

Visit Client Support

Check out our resources page for helpful content or connect with our client support team.

Contact Client Support