Request a Quote
or Find a Local Agent

Ridesharing in BC

New provincial regulations for ride-sharing services will come into effect on September 16, 2019.

This will allow Transportation Network Service (TNS) companies such as Lyft and Uber, as well as Peer-to-Peer (P2P) companies such as Turo and Outdoorsy, to enter the BC market.

What is the difference between TNS and P2P?

P2P, also known as Peer to Peer Vehicle Rental, is when a vehicle owner offers their vehicle for rental purposes through a third-party platform, such as Outdoorsy.

TNS, also known as Transportation Network Service or Ride Hailing, is when a driver offers rides to the public market via a third-party platform, such as Uber or Lyft.

Looking to become a ride-hailing (Uber or Lyft) driver?

You can apply to become a ride-hailing driver as of September 3, 2019 and can be on the road as early as September 16, 2019.

Driver and vehicle requirements

  • You must have a commercial Class 4 BC issued driver’s licence  learn more
  • You must get an annual police criminal record check
  • You must provide a Driving Record Check (ICBC driver abstract)  
  • Your Vehicle must be less than 10 years old
  • Your vehicle must pass an annual or semi-annual inspection (semi-annual if the vehicle is driven more than 40,000km in the previous year)

 Learn more at Passenger Directed Vehicle Driver Requirements from the provincial government.

Insurance for Ride-Hailing Drivers

The TNS Company must purchase a Blanket Certificate insurance which provides coverage to vehicle owners, drivers and passengers during the TNS use. Optional insurance on this blanket certificate is not required so drivers need to ensure they are properly covered.

Drivers who offer ride-hailing services will want to consider purchasing an endorsement which allows for TNS use. This reinstates the driver’s optional insurance coverage that is otherwise excluded during TNS use. This endorsement is available as of September 16, 2019.

Insurance for P2P vehicle owners

The coverage required for P2P vehicle owners will depend on the coverage purchased by the P2P Company. P2P companies are not required to purchase a blanket certificate of insurance.

  • If the company has a blanket certificate then the optional insurance coverage on your policy is excluded during the P2P rental use. You should purchase the P2P optional endorsement on your policy to reinstate the excluded optional coverages. You do not need to change your vehicle rate class to U-drive for P2P use.
  • If the P2P Company does not purchase a blanket certificate of insurance, then you must ensure that your vehicle has a U-drive rate class, which allows for short term rentals. In this case your optional coverages on your policy are not excluded during the P2P rental.