House Insurance Brantford
If you’re lucky enough to live in Brantford, Ontario, then you’re familiar with its natural beauty. The city is home to many gorgeous parks, including Harmony Square and D’Aubigny Creek Park. “The Telephone City” is situated along the Grand River, giving residents breathtaking water views.
Settling in the scenic city of Brantford is a great choice. Once you’ve found a place to call home, you need to find property insurance to help you protect it.
Does the thought of finding home insurance give you a headache? Make things simple with Westland Insurance. We’re here whenever you need help with your insurance, whether you’re going through the claims process or looking to expand your coverage.
Home insurance in Brantford is crucial for every homeowner.
What Does House Insurance in Brantford Cover
Your home insurance protects you even when you’re away from your house. Below, you’ll find a breakdown of exactly what your policy offers:
How much personal property do you store inside your home? It’s everything you keep, from your bedroom dresser to your video game collection. If you added the total value of your belongings, you’d see why home insurance is important. It will cover your replacement or repair costs if your items were damaged by an insured peril.
Detached structures on your property also get covered by your home insurance. This includes your garage, garden shed, and/or fence.
Legal liability protects you if you’re found responsible for causing bodily injury or property damage. Incidents like these may occur inside your home or when you’re visiting another property. If there is a lawsuit against you, you could be facing expensive legal fees. Your personal liability coverage serves to protect you from these risks.
If you need to leave your home due to an insured peril, you might worry about all the extra costs you’ll face. But with home insurance, any costs you wouldn’t typically face when living at your house will be covered; this includes food, hotel/rental home fees, and missed time at work.
What It Doesn't Cover
Home insurance covers you for risks like water damage, fire damage, theft, and vandalism. But not all perils are covered. If you’re looking for protection from sewer backups or identity theft, you’ll need to purchase additional coverage.
When you’re choosing your insurance, you’ll be asked to select policy limits for your liability and content coverage. Choose these limits carefully! You’ll need to pay out of pocket if you’re facing a liability lawsuit or property damage that costs more than your insurance covers.
Why Do I Need House Insurance, and Is It Required in Brantford?
You spent years saving for your home. If an accident happens, all your hard work can disappear. Your home is worth protecting—and you can do that with home insurance.
Insurance gives you financial protection for one of the biggest investments you’ll make in your life. And if you’re planning to take out a mortgage to buy your home in Brantford, your lender will require proof of insurance first.
Factors That Affect the Cost of House Insurance in Brantford
Curious to know how your home insurance rates are calculated? Your home insurance premiums are influenced by a handful of factors, including:
- The replacement cost of your home. If your home costs more to repair or replace, you can expect to pay higher insurance costs.
- Age of home. Character homes have their charm, but they also have their problems. Older homes have issues like outdated plumbing that can be prone to leaking and electrical wiring that may pose a fire hazard.
- Claims history. Never made a claim before? You may get a discount from your insurance provider.
- Location. If you live in an area that’s prone to vandalism or flooding, it will affect your insurance rates.
- Distance to services. Is your home located near a fire station or fire hydrant?
- Credit score. Some homeowners are surprised to learn that their credit score affects their insurance. If you have a good credit score, ask for a soft-touch credit check to see if you’re eligible for a discount.
Coverage Options for House Insurance
Looking for more insurance coverage? Let us know! Based on your location and lifestyle, we can recommend different coverage options, such as:
- Identity Theft
- Home-Based Business
- Overland Water
- Sewer Backup
- Service Line Coverage
- Claim Protector
- Home Equipment Breakdown
House Insurance FAQ
Find the answers to the most commonly asked questions about home insurance down below:
If you’re searching for ways to save money on your insurance, we’ve got a few ideas:
- Install safety features. Set up a local or monitored alarm to keep thieves away from your home.
- Pay annually. What payment schedule have you set up? If you pay annually instead of monthly, you’ll save your insurance broker a bit of paperwork, and you could get a discount for it.
- Bundle your insurance. Combine your home insurance in Brantford with auto insurance to save big on your premiums.
- Take care of small repairs. Debating whether you should make a claim or repair the damage yourself? Factor in the cost of your deductible and increase in your premiums after the claim is made. It may be more cost-effective to save your insurance for a major repair.
- Buy a newer home. If your home was built in the last 10 years, it will be less expensive to insure. New development homes have all the latest plumbing and electrical systems, so they have a lower risk profile. It might be worth scouting out your first home in one of the newly developed areas of Brantford.
- Mature customer discount. Homeowners who are 55+ may be eligible for insurance savings.
- Pay off your mortgage. Once you submit your last mortgage payment, let your insurance provider know! They may offer you a discount.
Have you recently made a claim? If so, your premiums will go up for the next few years. Once you go enough time without making a claim, they’ll lower in price again. Your premium may also be high if you live in an older home.
You can get more affordable insurance by working with an insurance broker! At Westland, we compare rates by the top insurance providers in Brantford. To start saving on insurance, contact us today!
The more claims you make, the more you’ll pay for insurance. However, even if you’ve made claims in the past, our insurance brokers can help you save on your insurance. Get in touch with us to learn more.
Before an insurance broker can provide you with a quote, they’ll need:
- Your street address & postal code
- Your current home insurance policy information
- Policy start date
- Your contact information
Planning a major renovation? By remodelling your kitchen or bathroom, you can significantly raise the value of your home. Once your renovations are complete, be sure to let your insurance provider know.
Your insurance rates are based partly on the total value of your home. Any upgrades you make that increase the value will make your home more costly to insure.
However, some renovations may lower your insurance rates; for example, replacing knob and tube wiring with a safer, more modern electrical system. Renovations like these make your home a safer place and thereby lower your insurance rates.
Get Affordable Home Insurance in Brantford With Westland!
Prepare yourself for the unexpected with our home insurance services. At Westland Insurance, we’ll set you up with a personalized home insurance quote in minutes. You can contact us over the phone, through our website, or by visiting a Westland location in Brantford.
With our expert advice, we’ll help you get great rates on the best coverage. We’ll set you up with the right protection for your insurance needs. Contact us for Brantford home insurance quotes today!
Need some help?
We'll help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.Claims
When you need us, we’re here. Connect with us.Contact Us
Visit Client Support
Check out our resources page for helpful content or connect with our client support team.Contact Client Support