Car Insurance In Vaughan
Located north of Toronto in the GTA, Vaughan is the 17th-largest city in Canada and also one of the fastest growing. Bordering Caledon, Brampton, Richmond Hill, and Markham, in addition to Toronto itself, it’s a primarily commuter community made up of more than ten historic districts. The city of Vaughan is known as home to Canada’s Wonderland, Canada’s largest amusement park. It also borders York University’s campus and boasts Vaughan Mills Mall, known for the Legoland Discovery Centre.
Vaughan is a highly multicultural city with populations representing many different ethnicities. The Baitul Islam Mosque is a well-known landmark, as are multiple other cultural and religious centres. When it comes to outdoor recreation and access to nature, residents of Vaughan can enjoy the Boyd Conservation Park or the Kortright Centre for Conservation, which has a 16 km trail network for hiking and snowshoeing. The Vaughan Metropolitan Area is Vaughan’s newly developing city centre.
While many Vaughan residents access public transit via the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre subway station, YRT, or Viva and Zum rapid transit buses, most also own a vehicle. Whether you’re headed south to Toronto, shopping at the mall, or getting out of town for the weekend, your car is your ticket to mobility and freedom. But not without proper insurance.
Insuring a vehicle in the city of Vaughan can be a process that requires some research and knowledge. At Westland Insurance, located at 610 Applewood Cres., we understand that you’re seeking the right coverage at the best rate possible, and we’re committed to helping you find it. Educating our clients to help them feel completely confident in their choice of auto insurance in Ontario is a priority at Westland, and we look forward to serving our Vaughan customers online, by phone, or in person.
How Car Insurance in Vaughan Works
Car insurance is mandatory in Vaughan, and you cannot legally drive a vehicle without it. In the province of Ontario, every registered vehicle must be insured, and the city of Vaughan is no exception.
In some provinces, auto insurance is provided through the government, but in Vaughan (as in the rest of Ontario), it’s privatized. This means that, though the FSRAO (Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario) oversees and regulates auto insurance in Vaughan, specific policies and their prices may vary from one insurance company to another. While car insurance rates are notoriously high in Vaughan, shopping around and comparing car insurance policies can make a real difference in the amount you end up paying. Westland Insurance can help.
In Vaughan, as in the rest of Ontario, car insurance is no-fault. This means that you file all claims directly through your own insurance company, whether you’re at fault in a collision or not.
The following types of auto insurance coverage are mandatory throughout the city of Vaughan and the province of Ontario:
- Third-Party Liability
- Third-party liability coverage protects you in case you’re driving and injure another person or damage their property. It includes coverage for repairs, legal fees, medical costs, and more.
- Accident Benefits
- This type of insurance covers medical expenses and loss of income for you and any passengers or pedestrians involved in an accident, no matter who was at fault.
- Uninsured Automobile Insurance
- In the event that you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver or are the victim of a hit-and-run, uninsured automobile insurance covers medical expenses for you and your family. (Coverage is only applicable within the province of Ontario.)
- Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD)
- In the event that you aren’t at fault in an incident, this type of coverage protects your car and its contents from property damage.
Below are some common types of optional auto insurance in Vaughan and the province of Ontario:
- Collision Coverage
- This type of insurance provides coverage for damages associated with a collision, regardless of who is at fault.
- Specified Perils Coverage
- With specified perils coverage, your vehicle is protected from a defined list of potential losses such as vandalism, break-ins, and disasters caused by nature or people.
- Comprehensive Auto Insurance
- As its name suggests, comprehensive auto insurance offers even more coverage than specified perils insurance. It includes coverage for accidents that aren’t driving-related, such as falling objects, hail, etc.
- All Perils
- The most comprehensive insurance of all, all perils auto insurance covers any and all damages, with the exception of a list of exclusions.
Car Insurance FAQ
While individual auto insurance rates vary according to a variety of factors (see below), the average rates in Vaughan are among the very highest in the province of Ontario. While the average annual rate for car insurance in Ontario is just over $1,500, Vaughan’s average rate is more than $2,100 per year.
Before you get discouraged, remember that averages are just that. If, for instance, you have a flawless driving record or a car with excellent safety ratings, you may find that your actual costs will go down significantly.
Vaughan is the number one highest in the province of Ontario when it comes to auto insurance rates. Its average rates are minimally higher than other cities in the GTA, but substantially higher than places like Cornwall and Kingston, where average rates may be as low as $1,100 or less.
There are no insurance brokers in Vaughan that offer cheap car insurance across the board. Because the cost of your individual premium is based on a number of factors (some within your control and some out of your control), it’s best to research your options and compare quotes to find the best deal for your particular circumstances.
At Westland Insurance, we recommend reassessing your auto insurance annually to be sure you’re still getting the best rate possible.
In Vaughan, the prevalence of highways, the high number of commuters, and the amount of commercial traffic are among the factors that contribute to high car insurance rates.
Other factors include:
- Driver Demographics – Your premium will be impacted by your age, gender, and driving record.
- Type of Vehicle – The make, model, and age of your vehicle are assessed by insurance companies as are its safety scores, repair costs, and likelihood of being stolen. The distances you drive and frequency of usage are also factored in.
- Type of Coverage – Basic coverage with high deductibles costs less than comprehensive coverage with low deductibles (though it may cost you more in the event of an accident).
Vaughan car insurance quotes are generally higher for students because they’re inexperienced and lack a driving record. To decrease student auto insurance premiums, many parents opt to include students on their own policy. Another option for students seeking affordable car insurance in Vaughan is to take additional driver’s education courses, which can lower premiums.
If you’re a newcomer to Vaughan, it’s important to show car insurance companies that you’re an experienced driver with a good driving record. Records from your previous insurance company are beneficial, if possible.
High-risk drivers face increased premiums everywhere in Canada, including in Vaughan. If you’re a high-risk driver seeking affordable car insurance, consider finding a company that caters specifically to high-risk applicants.
While you’ll never be able to eliminate car insurance premiums entirely, there are several concrete ways that you can work on reducing them. These include:
- Purchasing a vehicle with high safety ratings and low theft ratings.
- Bundling your auto insurance with other types of insurance through the same provider.
- Paying your insurance on time.
- Maintaining a driving record free of accidents and claims.
At Westland insurance, we understand that comparing quotes for Vaughan auto insurance can feel like a big task. Let our friendly and qualified team do the heavy lifting for you and find you the most affordable rate possible for your particular needs.
Questions or concerns? Haven’t found what you were looking for? A Westland Insurance representative will be happy to assist you. You can contact us in three convenient ways: Email, phone, or in-person.
Don’t wait to get driving. Start the process to get a competitive quote on your Vaughan auto insurance today!