House Insurance – British Columbia
Move-in day, late nights with friends, holiday memories, and Saturday morning cartoons with the kids. Life happens in your home, and we’re here to protect it. Your home may be the most significant investment you’ll ever make.
As your local insurance experts for over 40 years, we know that each home in BC is unique in its own way. From neighbourhoods close to our headquarters in Surrey to the homes tucked away in the beauty that is northern British Columbia, from the Island to the Kootenays, we’ve got you covered. With all it has to offer, it’s not hard to understand why so many people call BC home. And with almost 100 locations across the province, there’s sure to be a Westland location near you.
We understand its vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying your life in BC.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert home insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, Click here.
MyWestland makes accessing your information easy!
- Easily access your policy information and manage your account
- Report a claim and upload photos
- Check your claims status anytime
- View your policy details, including coverage and payment information
- Easy online payment options (pay now or pay monthly)
- Contact your advisor directly
Home Insurance Explained
There are so many aspects of coverage to a home insurance policy. From the physical home structure to coverages that protect you even when you aren’t at home. Your home insurance will cover the damage to your home from any risks outlined in your policy to ensure that you’re able to get back to normal as quickly as possible. A few of the risks discussed in a policy include fire, water damage, wind, theft, and vandalism.
And that’s just the beginning. We have access to all of the best home insurance products in Canada, so no matter what additional protection you need, we’re sure to have a solution for you!
It’s all of your special belongings, furniture and collections that make a house a home. From clothing to electronics and jewellery, sports equipment to musical instruments, we can help make sure that you’re covered. You may be surprised to find that the value of your items adds up to more than you thought. Having the right coverage in place is vital if your personal property needs to be replaced.
Your home insurance policy will extend to cover more than your “four walls.” Included in this coverage are detached structures such as a garage and fences.
This coverage is one of the most important in your policy. It covers you for liability that may occur whether you are at home or away. Things like medical expenses and repair costs that arise from damage to someone else or a neighbouring property are covered. Suppose your child is incredible at baseball but unfortunately sends a baseball flying into your neighbour’s window, accidentally damaging their art collection. In that case, your liability coverage can step in to cover the damage.
Suppose your home can’t be occupied, whether due to damage or during repairs related to an insurance claim, your home insurance policy will cover living expenses during this time. The cost of alternative living arrangements will be covered, even extending to meals until you’re back home.
How Much Does Home Insurance Cost in BC?
Home insurance rates will vary from one city or town to the next in British Columbia. Insurance companies will use rate tables to create the price for home insurance within territories based on experience ratings, exposure to risk, claims data, etc. Pulling from our experience in BC, we’ve put together examples of monthly home insurance prices that we see most often. For a quote specific to your needs, connect with us today!
What Factors Determine the Cost of Home Insurance?
Not all homes are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your home insurance price include:
- Age of Home
Depending on age, some homes may be at more risk of a claim than others
Postal codes provide insight into areas prone to flooding, vandalism, and other claims made
Type of building materials used to construct your home
- Claims History
There may be a discount applied if you’ve never had a claim
- Distance to Services
The distance from your home to a fire hydrant or a fire station affects claim risks
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect motorcycle insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your motorcycle coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Ways to Save on Home Insurance in BC
- Mature Customer
- Claims Free
- Local or Monitored Alarm
- Water Leak Detection Device
Optional Protection Available to Enhance Your Coverage
Based on your lifestyle and where your home is located there may be additional coverages available to you, such as:
- Earthquake Coverage
- Home Based Business
- Glass Breakage
- Umbrella Liability
- Green Claims Extension
Claims Experience from Westland Clients
Water damage is the most common claim we see when it comes to home ownership. Pipes can burst unexpectedly and flood spaces in your home. This can cause upwards of $15,000 worth of damage. The right home insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About BC
- Vancouver Island is home to a waterfall that is eight times the height of Niagara Falls. The Della Falls waterfall can be found in Srathcona Provincial Park and is a whopping 440 metres in height.
- Half of all British Columbians can be found in Vancouver and the surrounding area.
- BC is home to the world’s largest hockey stick ; how Canadian! You can find it in the city of Duncan and is 62,000 lbs and 62.48 metres long.
- Whistler is known for its beautiful views and slopes. It also has the longest unsupported cable car system in the world. This cable connects the two peaks of the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort.
- BC is one of the top three producers of blueberries and cranberries globally.
- Meares Island is home to the Hanging Tree Garden , which is between 1,500 and 2,000 years old. It features some of the oldest Western Red Cedar trees.
- You can find a quarter of all grizzly bears and black bears in BC.
- Have you ever heard of bathtub racing? Nanaimo is the Bathtub Racing capital of the world, starting in 1967. To complete, you’ll need to use a bathtub as a boat.
- Lights, camera, action! BC is the fourth-largest television and film production centre in North America.
- Wine country lives in BC. Each year BC vineyards welcome over one million visitors. Over 929 vineyards cover more than 10,260 acres of land.
Need some help?
We'll help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.Claims
When you need us, we’re here. Connect with us.Contact Us
Visit Client Support
Check out our resources page for helpful content or connect with our client support team.Contact Client Support