House Insurance – Newfoundland and Labrador
Move-in day, late nights with friends, holiday memories, and Saturday morning cartoons with the kids. Life happens in your home, and we’re here to protect it. Your home may be the most significant investment you’ll ever make.
As your insurance experts, we know that each home in Newfoundland & Labrador is unique in its own way. From those who live along the Atlantic coastline to the vibrant city centre of St. John’s. It’s not hard to understand why people are proud to call New Brunswick home.
We understand it’s vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on what’s important in your life.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert home insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, Click here.
Home Insurance Explained
There are so many aspects of coverage to a home insurance policy. From the physical home structure to coverages that protect you even when you aren’t at home. Your home insurance will cover the damage to your home from any risks outlined in your policy to ensure that you’re able to get back to normal as quickly as possible. A few of the risks discussed in a policy include fire, water damage, wind, theft, and vandalism.
And that’s just the beginning. We have access to all of the best home insurance products in Canada, so no matter what additional protection you need, we’re sure to have a solution for you!
It’s all of your special belongings, furniture and collections that make a house a home. From clothing to electronics and jewellery, sports equipment to musical instruments, we can help make sure that you’re covered. You may be surprised to find that the value of your items adds up to more than you thought. Having the right coverage in place is vital if your personal property needs to be replaced.
Your home insurance policy will extend to cover more than your “four walls.” Included in this coverage are detached structures such as a garage and fences.
This coverage is one of the most important in your policy. It covers you for liability that may occur whether you are at home or away. Things like medical expenses and repair costs that arise from damage to someone else or a neighbouring property are covered. Suppose your child is incredible at baseball but unfortunately sends a baseball flying into your neighbour’s window, accidentally damaging their art collection. In that case, your liability coverage can step in to cover the damage.
Suppose your home can’t be occupied, whether due to damage or during repairs related to an insurance claim, your home insurance policy will cover living expenses during this time. The cost of alternative living arrangements will be covered, even extending to meals until you’re back home.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Home Insurance?
Not all homes are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your home insurance price include:
- Age of Home
Depending on age, some homes may be at more risk of a claim than others
Postal codes provide insight into areas prone to flooding, vandalism, and other claims made
Type of building materials used to construct your home
- Credit Score
You can choose to have a soft touch credit check to apply a discount, depending on your credit score
- Claims History
There may be a discount applied if you’ve never had a claim
- Distance to Services
The distance from your home to a fire hydrant or a fire station affects claim risks
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect motorcycle insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your motorcycle coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Ways to save on your home insurance in Newfoundland & Labrador
- Mature Customer (55+ years)
- Claims Free
- Local or Monitored Alarm
- Water Lead Detection Device
- Company Loyalty
- Mortgage Free
- Credit Score Factor
What other coverages can be added to a home policy?
Based on your lifestyle and where your home is located there may be additional coverages available to you, such as:
- Identity Theft
- Home Based Business
- Overland Water
- Sewer Backup
- Service Line Coverage
- Claim Protector
- Home Equipment Breakdown
Claims Experience from Westland Clients
Water damage is the most common claim we see when it comes to home ownership. Pipes can burst unexpectedly and flood spaces in your home. This can cause upwards of $15,000 worth of damage. The right home insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About Newfoundland & Labrador
- Although Newfoundland & Labrador has a large land mass, over 94% of the total population lives on the island of Newfoundland.
- The colourful homes are not just for the style, they were actually painted different colours so the ships out at sea could see them through the heavy fog.
- If you’re a fan of pubs, Newfoundland & Labrador is the place for you. There are more pubs per square foot on George Street, which is located in St. Johns, than anywhere else in the country.
- St. John’s is the oldest city not just in the country, but in North America!
- At one point in time, the northern part of the province, L’anse Aux Meadows, was home to Vikings.
- Although not too surprising being a province along the ocean, over half of Canada’s fish supply is thanks to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Two of the most loved dog breeds hail from the province. Both the Newfoundland (or Newfie) and Labrador Retriever come from Newfoundland and Labrador home.
- Want a quick trip to France? Lucky for you it’s only an hour boat ride away. Although it’s technically France, Saint Pierre and Miquelon is a self-governing collectivity of France and under French control.
- The town of Argentina, which is located along the North Atlantic, sees on average 406 days of fog per year.
- Although there is much beauty along the coastlines, Newfoundland and Labrador is home to four national parks and 22 provincial parks.