House Insurance London
London, Ontario, is so much more than a university town. Here, you’ll find the magnificent Springbank Park, scenic Boler Mountain, and the child-friendly theme park Storybook Gardens. It’s a beautiful place to call home.
London homeowners are looking for the best way to protect their most significant investment: Their property. With home insurance, you’ll have confidence knowing your most important investment is protected. If an unexpected accident occurs, home insurance will have your back.
At Westland Insurance, we’ve got you covered. Here’s what home insurance in London can do for you:
What Does House Insurance in London Cover
What does home insurance cover? Great question—our insurance advisors will be happy to help answer that. Here’s what you can expect from a typical home insurance policy:
Your content coverage applies to all the personal belongings within your home. If any of your items are damaged or lost, your insurance will pay for the replacement costs. Consider taking out an endorsement for extra coverage for your high-value items (like a diamond ring or gaming computer).
Do you have a garden shed, garage, or fence on your property? You’ll be happy to know that your home insurance in London applies to these structures, too.
What is liability insurance? It’s protection from the unexpected. Liability insurance coverage applies if you, your pet, or someone in your family accidentally causes property damage or bodily injury to another person. This policy pays for medical fees and legal expenses if that person decides to sue you.
Liability coverage kicks in whenever you (or someone in your home) is found responsible for an accident, either at home or on another property.
You may face additional living expenses if your home is temporarily uninhabitable. Say you’re dealing with fire damage, and you need a place to stay while the repairs are being completed. Your home insurance in London will pay for your hotel fees and take-out meals.
What It Doesn't Cover
When you’re customizing your home insurance in London, you’ll choose limits for each part of your policy, including your content coverage and liability insurance. It’s essential to determine these limits carefully.
If your replacement costs are greater than what your homeowner’s insurance offers, you’ll need to pay for them yourself. Not an ideal situation.
Higher limits will cost more, but the difference is negligible—especially when you consider what you may pay if you need to make an insurance claim. At Westland, we always recommend choosing limits that accurately reflect your lifestyle and budget.
Need help determining the total value of your belongings? Start by taking inventory of your most high-value belongings. Document them for future reference by taking photos of the model number or receipt. From there, start adding up what it would cost to replace them with new or similar items.
Why Do I Need House Insurance and Is It Required in London?
If you’re a new homeowner, you might be facing a pretty tight budget. Can you justify adding the cost of home insurance to it?
Absolutely! Here’s why:
You can compare home insurance to protect your most valuable asset—your greatest investment in life; it’s financial assistance when you need it most. Home insurance covers you in case your home is damaged by a range of unexpected events, including:
If you pay for your house in full, you aren’t required by law to purchase insurance. But if you’re taking out a mortgage, you’ll have difficulty getting approved by a lending institution without insurance.
Factors That Affect the Cost of House Insurance in London
Insurance rates are vastly different from dwelling to dwelling. One home may cost $70/month to insure, while another just down the street may cost $100/month. Why is that?
When determining your insurance premiums, insurance companies will consider a wide range of factors, including:
- Age of your home. An insurance company will look at the age of your home’s plumbing, electrical system, and roof.
- Your location. London is full of unique neighbourhoods, from Lockwood Park to The Triangle.
- Square footage. The size of your home will also affect your insurance rates.
- Construction materials. Even the materials used to build your home will affect your premiums. With high-quality materials, your home is less likely to face repairs or water leaks.
- Your credit score. If you have a lower credit score, you may be seen as a higher risk to an insurance company.
- Your claims history. Have you made a home insurance claim before? Each time you make a claim, it raises your premiums for a few years.
- The distance to fire services. The risk of fire damage is minimized if your home is close to a fire hydrant or fire station.
Coverage Options for House Insurance
Adding endorsements to your policy can broaden your coverage. You’ll get protection from a wider range of perils, from sewage backups to overland flooding. If you want more home insurance coverage, your options include:
Restore your identity after you deal with identity theft or fraud through this insurance endorsement. You can get assistance to recover financially from the fallout of cybercrime.
Working from home is more popular than ever. However, if you run a business from your house, you need insurance for your office equipment and additional liability risks.
Get coverage for your yacht or sailboat with this endorsement, which covers you for physical damage and liability.
This coverage applies if your home is damaged by melting snow, rainfall, or overflow from a body of water.
Raw sewage is not only dangerous, but it causes irreversible damage to your personal property. If your home is affected by sewage backup, you’ll need to replace nearly everything it touches. Protect yourself with sewer backup insurance.
As a homeowner, you’re responsible for the service lines on your property, including power, phone, and cable lines. If your utility lines need urgent repairs, this endorsement will have you covered.
As you may already know, insurance claims affect your premiums for several years afterward. But with this optional add-on, your insurance history will stay the same after your first claim.
If one of your essential appliances breaks down, you’ll require an urgent repair. This coverage will pay for sudden repairs and replacements of your heating and cooling equipment, electronics, and kitchen appliances.
Home insurance is required if you need a loan to purchase your home.
If you’re new to London, Ontario, you’re probably wondering which perils are most common. At Westland Insurance, the most common claim we see with homeownership is water damage.
This usually happens after a winter of heavy snowfall, followed by a fast spring thaw. Floods can also be caused by heavy thunderstorms, which London is no stranger to. And plummeting temperatures in the winter can make pipes freeze and burst.
If you want coverage for these perils, give us a call. We can recommend endorsements that will expand your coverage.
Trying to stick to a budget? Maybe you’re looking for the most cost-effective insurance you can find. Lower your home insurance costs with the following:
- Sprinkler. A fire sprinkler system can win you a great discount on your insurance.
- Water leak detection device. This device continually monitors your plumbing to find water leaks before they cause extensive damage.
- Company loyalty. You may get a discount if you go with the same insurer for your home and auto insurance.
- Pay a higher deductible. Lower your premiums by increasing your deductible; that being said, you’ll need to pay more before you’re reimbursed for a claim.
- Make a lump sum payment. Choose to pay annually instead of monthly for your insurance. It saves your insurance company some paperwork, so they may offer you a discount.
- Mortgage free. Have you paid off your mortgage? Good for you! Let your insurance broker know to get a discount.
- Mature customer (55+ years). Getting older has its perks; you may qualify for a mature customer discount.
- Claims free. Save money by taking advantage of the claims-free discount.
- Local or monitored alarm. If you install a security system, your insurance provider may offer a discount since it will lower the chances of a theft or vandalism incident.
- Credit score factor. Use your credit score to your advantage. Ask for a soft touch credit check to see if you qualify for this discount.
In general, you should update your home insurance coverage whenever you have a lifestyle or significant change to your property. A few examples include:
- You’re renting out your home. Tenants pose additional liability concerns, so be sure to let us know if you’re renting out your home.
- You’ve quit smoking. Kicked the habit? Along with the health benefits, you’ll also reduce your risk of starting a house fire. Let your insurance provider know, and they can decrease your premium.
- You’ve retired or started to work from home. If you spend more time at home, you’re more likely to spot a fire before it spreads.
- You’ve installed a pool. Pools are tons of fun but can pose safety concerns if someone is injured in them.
- You’ve adopted a dog. Due to the risk of a dog biting a house guest, you may be at greater risk for a liability claim.
Get Home Insurance in London, Ontario, With Westland Today!
At Westland, our insurance brokers can help you get affordable rates on car insurance, condo insurance, and tenant insurance. We’ll compare home insurance quotes so that you don’t have to, saving you time and energy.
Looking for a London home insurance quote? With personalized home insurance, you’ll get the coverage you need at a price you can afford, contact us today!