Marine & Boat Insurance – British Columbia
Whether you’re catching waves or catching rays, boating season is much loved in Canada. Boat insurance should be part of your boating checklist, from wakeboard boats out on the water all day to fishing boats catching dinner and all others in between. While you don’t have to worry about pirates, you can protect yourself from dangers like rough seas and collisions.
As your local insurance experts for over 40 years, we know that each boat is unique in its own way. From sailing enthusiasts hitting a heel out on the ocean to the memories made out on the Okanagan Lake tubing with family and friends and all other boat uses in between, we’ve got you covered. And with 100 locations across the province, there’s sure to be a Westland location near you.
We understand it’s vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying your life in BC.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert boat insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, click here.
Boat Insurance Explained
Your boat is more than just a boat; it’s a significant investment. Whether you have a top-of-the-line wake boat with all the bells and whistles or a fishing boat equipped with all the electronics to reel in a master, boats are often a large investment you’ll make. Don’t let the unexpected mess with your next boating adventure. Boat insurance for peace of mind while out on the water.
Whether you own a sailboat, a motorboat, an inflatable, a Jet-Ski or Seadoo, your insurance policy can also cover other items like boat motors, trailers, or your GPS system. Your boat insurance will also protect you from the following:
- Property Damage
Damage you cause to someone else’s watercraft or property.
- Damage to Your Boat
Including theft or loss of attached equipment.
- Liability Coverage
You come in contact and run into another boat while out on the water.
Home insurance policies don’t provide comprehensive boat coverage. Generally, it can be the most cost-effective to insure a boat separately. Through a separate boat policy, you may get better coverage geared specifically towards watercrafts, and in turn, your boat insurance could cost less. Connect with us to discuss whether your watercraft is best covered under your home policy or if it’s beneficial to set up a boat and marine policy. If you insure your boat on a stand-alone watercraft policy and need to make a claim, it will not affect your house insurance claims rating or premium.
- It helps protect you, your watercraft, and your passengers should you become involved in a boating accident
- Before you can store your watercraft at a marina, you may be asked to provide proof of boat insurance
- When buying new watercraft, the finance company may request proof of insurance
Anyone operating a boat in Canada needs their pleasure craft operator’s card along with the right boat insurance policy. Driving a boat without the proper certification could potentially void an insurance policy in the event of an accident or a liability claim.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Boat Insurance in British Columbia?
Not all boats are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your boat insurance price include:
- Size of Boat
- Trailer Value
- Accessories Value
- Occupancy Limit
- Location Used
- Motor Size
- Boat Use
- Hauling Distance to Destination
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect boat insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your boat coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Impacts with submerged objects such as rocks or deadheads are the most common claim we see when it comes to boat homeownership. For example, you’re out on the water and come in contact with a rock that is submerged just under the waterline. This can cause upwards of $10,000 to $50,000 worth of damage depending on the type of boat and damages. The right boat insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About British Columbia
- Vancouver Island is home to a waterfall that is eight times the height of Niagara Falls. The Della Falls waterfall can be found in Srathcona Provincial Park and is a whopping 440 metres in height.
- Half of all British Columbians can be found in Vancouver and the surrounding area.
- BC is home to the world’s largest hockey stick ; how Canadian! You can find it in the city of Duncan and is 62,000 lbs and 62.48 metres long.
- Whistler is known for its beautiful views and slopes. It also has the longest unsupported cable car system in the world. This cable connects the two peaks of the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort.
- BC is one of the top three producers of blueberries and cranberries globally.
- Meares Island is home to the Hanging Tree Garden , which is between 1,500 and 2,000 years old. It features some of the oldest Western Red Cedar trees.
- You can find a quarter of all grizzly bears and black bears in BC.
- Have you ever heard of bathtub racing? Nanaimo is the Bathtub Racing capital of the world, starting in 1967. To complete, you’ll need to use a bathtub as a boat.
- Lights, camera, action! BC is the fourth-largest television and film production centre in North America.
- Wine country lives in BC. Each year BC vineyards welcome over one million visitors. Over 929 vineyards cover more than 10,260 acres of land.