Spring is a welcomed time after a long winter. With the increased temperatures comes the potential for water causing havoc on your home. Whether it be from heavy rainfall, ice and snow melt or a ruptured pipe, flooding can happen to anyone at any time. If you experience flooding in your home this spring, we’ve put together a few things you can do to help mitigate the damage and prevent further water damage to your home and belongings.
- Turn off all water, gas and electricity
- Wear PPE
- Use a flashlight
- Ventilate the area by opening windows in case of gas build up
Report your Claim
It is important to notify your insurance provider immediately about the damage. Take photos and videos of the flooded area to assist your provider in assessing the damage. Check out our claims page for contact information and what to expect throughout the claims process.
Flood waters can be polluted with all sorts of bacteria, viruses, parasites and debris. Although you’ll likely want to get to work immediately to prevent damage to your home and belongings, it’s essential to consider your health and what you can do to protect yourself. Ensure you’re protected by wearing proper equipment and being aware of potential mold/mildew growth.
- Remove water as soon as possible
- Use a water pump or a wet vacuum to divert water away from storm sewers and septic fields to prevent sewer back up
- Remove everything from the basement to a dry area with lots of ventilation
- Carpet, furniture, drywall, appliances, boxes, personal items
- Discard any of the below materials that have been soaked in the flood water
- Boxed/Bottled food
- Food in damaged cans
- Paper products
- Medical supplies
- Stuffed animals
- Upholstered furniture
- Wash floors and walls 2’ above the highest water level with hot soapy water.
Dry & Ventilate
Dry the area as best you can and set up space heaters and dehumidifiers to help this process. Open all windows to ventilate and set up fans to help circulate the air.
Water claims can happen suddenly and cause havoc on your home and belongings quickly. When you need us, we’re here to help you through any potential insurance claims. Connect with us if you have questions about your policy or want to get more information on the claims process.