Moving from one home to another can be a daunting task. There are many items to consider and coordinate, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming.
Use this handy list to help organize and make your move as stress free as possible!
8 Weeks Before
- Create a file or binder to track your moving expenses, receipts and confirmations pertaining to the move
- Purge items you don’t want to take with you – this process can take some time so starting early is key!
- Research how you would like to move your belongings. Will you pack and move them yourself, or will you be hiring a moving company? Make sure to decide and book early if you’re hiring a moving company. Remember: weekends and holidays are peak times for moving companies, or renting a moving truck. Make sure you book in advance!
4 Weeks Before
- Begin gathering boxes and moving supplies. Start packing items you don’t regularly use to help ease the packing load closer to moving day. Clearly label all boxes with the contents, and which room they belong to.
- Go online and request mail forwarding through Canada Post. Set the forwarding to begin a few days before your move. This will help you to avoid missing important mail after the move.
- Book time off work on either side of the move to ensure you have time to pack, move, and get settled in a bit before heading back to work.