Westland Insurance Group Ltd. only collects, uses and discloses Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Offering and providing insurance and related products and services to you;
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal Information with government agencies, industry associations, insurers and other brokers;
- Analyzing, assessing and underwriting risks on a prudent basis;
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums;
- Investigating and settling claims;
- Detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- Compiling statistics;
- Complying with the law or the requests of law enforcement agencies or regulators; and
- Notifying you or allowing our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by our affiliated companies.
Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to Westland Insurance Group Ltd. through one of our representatives for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or related service or product (including information previously provided to Westland Insurance Group Ltd.);
- Your knowledge and consent of Westland Insurance Group Ltd.’s collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your express consent or acknowledgment contained within a written, verbal or electronic application process;
- Your consent solicited by Westland Insurance Group Ltd. for a specified purpose;
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent or holder of a power of attorney; or
- If you make changes to your policy or when your policy automatically renews, it is inferred that any consent you have previously provided to us relative to your policy remains in effect unless the consent is otherwise withdrawn.
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw this consent at any time. Westland Insurance Group Ltd. will inform you of the consequences of withdrawing your consent.
In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for Westland Insurance Group Ltd. to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information.
Limited Sharing of Your Personal Information To:
- Operators of insurance industry databases for the purpose of verifying the application information you submit;
- Your insurance broker for the purpose of your broker providing services to you,
- Independent insurance adjusters and brokers for the purpose of obtaining assistance in processing and administering your claims;
- Governmental authorities, claims investigation service providers, medical organizations, other vendors, other insurance carriers, re-insurers, and regulatory organizations for the purpose of assisting in the investigation and processing of claims;
- Other persons for whom you have provided your consent, for the purposes, and;
- As otherwise permitted or required by law.
Limiting Collection and Retention of Personal Information
Westland Insurance Group Ltd. will only collect, use or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes or as required by law. If we require Personal Information for any other purpose, you will be notified of the new purpose, and subject to your consent that new purpose will become an Identified Purpose. Westland Insurance Group Ltd. will only collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We will retain Personal Information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the Identified Purposes.
Westland Insurance Group Ltd. will maintain your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes.
Westland Insurance Group Ltd. will protect your Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We do this by implementing physical, organizational, contractual, and technological security measures to protect your personal information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, and use or modification.
Accountability, Openness and Customer Access
contact our Privacy Officer at:
Westland Insurance Group Ltd.
Unit 200, 2121 – 160th Street, Surrey, BC V3Z 9N6
If you are not satisfied with Westland Insurance Group Ltd.’s response to a privacy related inquiry or complaint you may contact the office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada during business hours at 1-800-282-1376 or at www.privcom.gc.ca