Cottage and Cabin Insurance – Alberta
Outdoor adventures, lakeside moonlight evenings, the silence of a retreat out of the city, or the cabin in the woods you’ve always dreamt of owning. Memories are made at your cottage or cabin, and we’re here to protect them. Your cottage or cabin may be one of the most significant investments you’ll ever make.
As your local insurance experts, we know that each cottage or cabin in Alberta is unique in its own way. From ski house getaways in the mountains to cottages tucked away on lakes throughout the province and retreats located through the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, we’ve got you covered. With all it has to offer, it’s not hard to understand why so many people call Alberta home.
We understand its vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on what’s important in your life.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert boat insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, click here.
Cottage and Cabin Insurance Explained
There are so many aspects of coverage to a cottage and cabin insurance policy. Just because you may not live in a cottage or cabin year-round, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be protected all the time. Your cottage and cabin insurance will cover the damage to your home from any risks outlined in your policy to ensure that you’re able to get back to normal as quickly as possible. A few of the risks discussed in a policy include fire, water damage, wind, theft, and vandalism.
And that’s just the beginning. We have access to all the best home insurance products in Canada, so no matter what additional protection you need, we’re sure to have a solution for you!
As a cottage or cabin owner, you know the benefit of having a place to escape is that you don’t have to constantly bring all the belongings from your primary home to have a good time. You’ll have belongings that are specific to the décor and use of the house. You may have equipment that is specific to the activities you love to do at your cottage or cabin. It’s essential to cover all contents that remain permanently at this location. The items you continually take back and forth week after week need to be covered on your primary home insurance.
Your cottage and cabin insurance policy will extend to cover more than your “four walls.” However, depending on your property, you might want to buy additional coverage on structures. Coverage may be limited for outbuildings such as boathouses.
This coverage is one of the most important in your policy. It covers you for liability that may occur whether you are at home or away. Regardless of whether your property is used year-round or seasonally, liability coverage is important as accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. This will also cover you for any damage you may cause to a neighbour’s property.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Cottage and Cabin Insurance?
Not all cottages or cabins are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your home insurance price include:
Age of home
Depending on age, some homes may be at more risk of a claim than others
Postal codes provide insight into areas prone to flooding, vandalism, and other claims made
Type of building materials used to construct your home
There may be a discount applied if you’ve never had a claim
You can choose to have a soft touch credit check to apply a discount, depending on your credit score
Distance to Services
The distance from your home to a fire hydrant or a fire station affects claim risks
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect cottage and cabin insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your cottage and cabin coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Ways to Save on Your Cottage and Cabin Insurance in Alberta
- Mature Customer
- Claims Free
- Local or Monitored Alarm
- Water Leak Detection Device
- Company Loyalty
- Mortgage Free • Credit Score Factor
Water damage is the most common claim we see when it comes to rental properties. For example, the supply line to a toilet can erode and cause flooding throughout the rental. This causes an issue for both your renter and your income when it comes to the property. The right rental property insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About Alberta
- Chinooks are unique to Alberta. The name is given to the damp, warm winds from the Rocky Mountains and over to Calgary. They can increase the temperature by 15 degrees!
- Edmonton is home to North America’s largest mall. It has the world’s largest parking lot by being able to hold 20,000 vehicles.
- Ever wondered where Trick or Treat began? Look no further than Alberta. In 1927, the town of Blackie, AB reported on “pranksters” in costume going around and uttering the spooky words around town.
- Instead of presenting an honoree with the key to the city, Calgary does one better and offers a white cowboy hat instead.
- If you’re a Star Trek fan, you’ll want to read more. In Vulcan , AB, they’ve built a 31-foot replica of the USS Enterprise, which stands next to their visitors centre, which is shaped like a spaceship.
- Lloydminster finds itself straddled on the border of Saskatchewan and Alberta. What’s the Canadian thing to do? Just share it, of course.
- Dinosaur Provincial Park lives up to its name by being home to the world’s richest site of many different dinosaur bones.
- The Caesar was originated by Walter Chell in 1969. He remembered spaghetti being served with tomato sauce and clams back in Italy. He translated that to the Canadian staple drink we love today.
- Comic book fans rejoice. Wolverine, half-human half-wolf, was apparently born in Cold Lake in the 1880s.
- Everyone loves Stampede time of year in Calgary and pancakes as well. Every year during Stampede, there are more than 200,000 free pancakes served and consumed. Yehaw!