Ready to head out on your well-deserved vacation? Before you finish packing, let’s package up your travel insurance. Whether you’re going on an action-packed European vacation or a relaxing beach vacation down to a tropical destination, make sure you pack a solid travel insurance policy too!
As your local insurance experts, we know that each vacation or travel itinerary is unique in its own way. From adventures within Canada to US destinations and those across the world, we’ve got you covered.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert travel insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, Click here.
Travel Insurance Explained
There are so many aspects to consider when planning a vacation. Where to stay, adventures you want to cross off your bucket list, and restaurants you’ve always wanted to try. Although not as glamorous as one of the wonders of the world, a travel insurance policy is just as important to ensure a great travel experience. Travel insurance provides financial protection for you before, during, and after your trips or extended stays. Planning your travel insurance is as important as planning the journey itself, from trip cancellation to health care expenses while away and even including lost luggage.
- Supplements your provincial health insurance
- Access to the coverage you need, including emergency medical and dental coverage, trip cancellation, trip interruption and baggage protection
- Peace of mind knowing if the unexpected does happen, you will have coverage for all the care you need
A travel insurance policy is important coverage for every traveller. From a health insurance standpoint, unless you have travel medical coverage through your employer or another source, this is the most crucial component of a travel insurance plan. When traveling outside of Canada, medical bills can add up quickly. And without travel medical insurance, you and your family could be on the hook for thousands of dollars’ worth of treatment, hospital stay, and even transportation costs to return home.
Even if you have a great travel medical plan through work, if you invest thousands of dollars in a dream vacation and become unable to travel, you can rebook for another time with trip cancellation benefits. You may get off to a good start on your trip but then have to cut it short due to an emergency or illness. Trip interruption coverage will reimburse you for the unused portion of your trip. Delays and baggage problems that cause you issues while travelling can also be covered depending on the type of plan.
Are you a seasoned traveller? A “hang loose” adventurer? A five-star accom type? Snowbird? Or maybe a student attending school in another country? A traveller visiting Canada? A travel insurance policy is as essential as your passport when checking off your “to do’s” for your next adventure.
Not all travel insurance policies will be the answer for every traveller. It depends on your purpose for travel, how long you plan to be away and even your age.
Your first step when thinking of travel insurance is to check any benefits you may have through your group plan at work – you might already have everything you need. If not, keep reading!
These are the types of travel insurance coverage that can be purchased:
- Emergency medical insurance – world-wide coverage up to $10million (depending on insurance provider)
- Travel accident coverage – provides coverage in the event that you are injured during your travels; available for single trips or as an annual policy to cover multiple trips or longer stays
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance – covers the cost of your airfare, other travel and accommodation
- Baggage insurance – for lost or delayed baggage
- Contact, adventure or extreme sports coverage
- All-inclusive packages – provide emergency travel health coverage, trip cancellation or interruption, missed connections, cost of lost or delayed baggage
- Student plans – available for both Canadian students studying outside of Alberta or foreign students studying in Canada
Who Is Travel Insurance For?
Anyone travelling outside of their home province to other parts of Canada, to the United States or around the world will benefit from travel insurance products:
- Quick getaway travellers – If you’re planning a quick getaway and your main concern is health coverage while travelling, single trip emergency medical insurance is the basic coverage you will need. This will provide worldwide emergency medical coverage. Note that if you travel often, it may be advantageous to consider an annual plan.
- Snowbirds – Canadian winters can be harsh and if your plan is to winter in a warmer climate like a Canada goose, an annual policy will cover you for up to 182 days.
- Adventure travellers – Most travel medical plans will have exclusions for extreme sports and activities. But many of us seem to think repelling into a deep cavern or hanging ten while tackling that big kahuna is a great idea. Be sure to inquire about adventure or extreme sports coverage.
- “All inclusive” travellers – Regardless of the type of vacation you have booked, your travel insurance can be a five-star all inclusive. This package provides everything you need; emergency health coverage, trip cancellation and interruption, missed connections, airline and common carrier accidents, baggage loss or delay.
- Studious types – Medical coverage is available while studying away from home. This coverage is for Canadian students attending school outside Canada as well as foreign students studying at a Canadian university or college.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Travel Insurance?
Not all travels are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your travel insurance price include:
- Length of Travel
- Claims History
- Medical History
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique risks and operations, and find the perfect insurance policy for your business. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your business coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!