Cottage and Cabin Insurance – Newfoundland and Labrador
Outdoor adventures, lakeside moonlight evenings, the silence of a retreat out of the city, or the cabin in the woods you’ve always dreamt of owning. Memories are made at your cottage or cabin, and we’re here to protect them. Your cottage or cabin may be one of the most significant investments you’ll ever make.
As your local insurance experts, we know that each home in Newfoundland & Labrador is unique in its own way. From home getaways outside of St. John’s for the weekend to the awe-inspiring ocean views you’ll only get along the coast and the calm waters that bring relaxation in the Bay of Fundy, we’ve got you covered. With all it has to offer, it’s not hard to understand why people are proud to call Newfoundland & Labrador home.
We understand its vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on what’s important in your life.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert cottage and cabin insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, Click here.
Cottage and Cabin Insurance Explained
There are so many aspects of coverage to a cottage and cabin insurance policy. Just because you may not live in a cottage or cabin year-round, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be protected all the time. Your cottage and cabin insurance will cover the damage to your home from any risks outlined in your policy to ensure that you’re able to get back to normal as quickly as possible. A few of the risks discussed in a policy include fire, water damage, wind, theft, and vandalism.
And that’s just the beginning. We have access to all the best home insurance products in Canada, so no matter what additional protection you need, we’re sure to have a solution for you!
As a cottage or cabin owner, you know the benefit of having a place to escape is that you don’t have to constantly bring all the belongings from your primary home to have a good time. You’ll have belongings that are specific to the décor and use of the house. You may have equipment that is specific to the activities you love to do at your cottage or cabin. It’s essential to cover all contents that remain permanently at this location. The items you continually take back and forth week after week need to be covered on your primary home insurance.
Your cottage and cabin insurance policy will extend to cover more than your “four walls.” However, depending on your property, you might want to buy additional coverage on structures. Coverage may be limited for outbuildings such as boathouses.
This coverage is one of the most important in your policy. It covers you for liability that may occur whether you are at home or away. Regardless of whether your property is used year-round or seasonally, liability coverage is important as accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. This will also cover you for any damage you may cause to a neighbour’s property.
What Factors Determine the Cost of Cottage and Cabin Insurance?
Not all cottages or cabins are the same which means not all policies will cost the same. Aside from the type of policy and coverage that you choose, factors that affect your home insurance price include:
Age of home
Depending on age, some homes may be at more risk of a claim than others
Postal codes provide insight into areas prone to flooding, vandalism, and other claims made
Type of building materials used to construct your home
There may be a discount applied if you’ve never had a claim
You can choose to have a soft touch credit check to apply a discount, depending on your credit score
Distance to Services
The distance from your home to a fire hydrant or a fire station affects claim risks
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect cottage and cabin insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your cottage and cabin coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Theft claims are one of the most common claims we see when it comes to cottage and cabin ownership. Unattended properties can lead to theft, for example, of expensive tools stored in the shed on your property. It’s important to have neighbours looking out for your property when you can’t be there! The right cottage and cabin insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About Newfoundland & Labrador
- Although Newfoundland & Labrador has a large land mass, over 94% of the total population lives on the island of Newfoundland.
- The colourful homes are not just for the style, they were actually painted different colours so the ships out at sea could see them through the heavy fog.
- If you’re a fan of pubs, Newfoundland & Labrador is the place for you. There are more pubs per square foot on George Street, which is located in St. Johns, than anywhere else in the country.
- St. John’s is the oldest city not just in the country, but in North America!
- At one point in time, the northern part of the province, L’anse Aux Meadows, was home to Vikings.
- Although not too surprising being a province along the ocean, over half of Canada’s fish supply is thanks to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Two of the most loved dog breeds hail from the province. Both the Newfoundland (or Newfie) and Labrador Retriever come from Newfoundland and Labrador home.
- Want a quick trip to France? Lucky for you it’s only an hour boat ride away. Although it’s technically France, Saint Pierre and Miquelon is a self-governing collectivity of France and under French control.
- The town of Argentina, which is located along the North Atlantic, sees on average 406 days of fog per year.
- Although there is much beauty along the coastlines, Newfoundland and Labrador is home to four national parks and 22 provincial parks.