House Insurance Oshawa
You’re looking for a more laid-back lifestyle than what Toronto offers, and that’s exactly what you’ll get in Oshawa. You love your lifestyle here, from long walks along the Waterfront Trail to days spent at Darlington Provincial Park.
But even in a city this serene, accidents happen. When you have home insurance, you’ll know that you’re covered for a range of perils, including fires and vandalism.
Without insurance, owning a home can feel precarious. And your home in Oshawa is not something you take for granted.
Why make home ownership more stressful than it needs to be? When you work with Westland, you’ll get access to some of the best insurance products in Canada. Get top-quality coverage at a great rate when you contact one of our insurance brokers.
We make it simple to understand how your insurance helps you. Here’s what your house insurance in Oshawa has to offer:
What Does House Insurance Cover in Oshawa
Your house insurance protects your home from fire, water, theft, and wind damage. We’ll break down the main parts of your policy, so you’ll know exactly what you’re getting with home insurance.
Your home in Oshawa is full of the things you love—art you’ve collected over the years, furniture sets, and gifts from your loved ones. You’re looking for insurance so you can protect all your belongings.
With Oshawa home insurance, you’ll be covered for the replacement cost of any personal belongings damaged in an insurance claim.
Along with your home and its contents, you’ll also be covered for any structures on your property. That includes your garage, shed, and/or fence.
What might happen if someone is hurt while visiting your property? Someone could slip on an icy sidewalk or trip on a rug while visiting your property, and you may be held liable for the accident. Personal liability coverage helps you cover legal costs and medical expenses. It will also apply if you cause property damage while visiting someone else’s home.
Need another place to stay while your home is being repaired? As long as the damage is related to an insurance claim, you’ll be covered for any additional living expenses you incur while your home is unlivable.
What It Doesn't Cover
You’re only covered for the perils specified in your insurance policy. Damages related to uninsured perils (such as earthquakes and sewer backups) won’t be covered unless you buy additional coverage.
Do you know the limits of your home insurance policy? It’s something every homeowner should know. If the damage to your home exceeds what your home insurance will cover, you won’t have the financial protection you need.
When you complete a major renovation, purchase a high-value item, or change your lifestyle (such as quitting smoking, retiring, or running a business from home), let us know. We can update your policy so you have the coverage you need.
Why Do I Need House Insurance, and Is It Required in Oshawa?
Why do you need home insurance? Because it’s nearly impossible to get a mortgage without one. Unless you plan to buy your home outright, you’ll need to work with a bank or mortgage lender to secure a loan. They typically require proof of insurance before you’re approved for a loan.
Home insurance protects one of the most substantial investments you’ll make in your lifetime: Your property. With it, you’ll feel more confident knowing you have financial protection on your most important asset.
Factors That Affect the Cost of House Insurance in Oshawa
What type of home do you have? How much is its total value? And what year was it built? All kinds of factors affect your insurance rates, including:
- Construction. Your premiums will vary based on the quality of building materials used to construct your home.
- Claims history. Never made a claim before? You’re in luck; your insurance rates will be lower for it. But if you’ve made a claim in the past, you’ll pay higher rates for a few years.
- Distance to services. If your home is near a fire station or fire hydrant, you may qualify for a discounted rate.
- Age of home. Older homes face potential insurance risks, like roof replacements and fire hazards from outdated electrical.
- Location. Insurance companies will factor in your risk exposure level; they’ll look at rates of flooding and vandalism in your neighbourhood.
- Credit score. Having a good credit score pays off. With a higher score, you’ll be seen as a lower risk to insurance providers.
Coverage Options for House Insurance
As a homeowner, you may be looking for extra protection. You can add the following to your insurance coverage:
- Identity Theft. Identity theft is not just a financial problem—it causes a tremendous amount of stress, too. With this insurance, you’ll know that if you’re ever a target of identity theft, you’ll have the protection you need.
- Home-Based Business. So, you’ve decided to run your business from your home. Awesome! You’ll just need more insurance before you get the ball rolling. This insurance policy gives you additional liability coverage for clients visiting your home and protection for your office equipment.
- Watercraft. If you own a boat, this insurance endorsement is a must-have. It protects you from any damage to your yacht or motorhome.
- Overland Water. Living on the shoreline of Lake Ontario has its perks—but it also has its risks. If you’re concerned about overland flooding, ask us about overland water coverage!
- Sewer Backup. Your home insurance policy covers not all types of water damage. If there’s a clog or problem with your sewer line, sump pump, or septic system, you’ll get coverage for any damages with this endorsement.
- Service Line Coverage. Cover any damages to the service and utility lines on your property, including water lines, sewer lines, and power lines.
- Claim Protector. You might be familiar with the accident forgiveness insurance that you can purchase with your car insurance. The claim protector endorsement is very similar, but for your home instead. The first time you make an insurance claim, you’ll be protected from any rate increases.
- Home Equipment Breakdown. Get coverage for the costs that arise when your home equipment suddenly breaks down. With this policy, you’ll be covered for repairs and replacements of HVAC systems, plumbing fixtures, and appliances.
Ways To Reduce Your House Insurance Premium
You’re a homeowner on a budget, looking to lower the cost of your insurance. Insurance providers may offer you a discount based on the following:
- Mature customer (55+ years)
- Company loyalty
- Mortgage free
- Credit score factor
- Claims free
- Local or monitored alarm
- Water leak detection device
Purchase Oshawa Home Insurance at Westland Insurance Today!
Why should you choose Westland? Because with us, you’ll save on your insurance premiums but still get the same comprehensive coverage. We offer personalized service, so it’s easier to find the right coverage for your lifestyle.