Car Insurance In Richmond Hill
Situated in the south-central York region, Richmond Hill is a southern Ontario city within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). With Toronto to the south, Vaughan to the west, and Markham to the east, it has grown rapidly over the past few decades, and its current population sits at around 200,000 residents.
Richmond Hill’s thriving economy is largely focused around business, finance, administration, and management sectors, and it’s known for being one of the more affluent communities in Ontario. Many residents also work in Toronto, commuting regularly along the 404 highway.
Landmarks, including the Hillcrest Mall, the David Dunlap Observatory, and the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts, reveal the diverse interests of the city’s population. Richmond Hill is also known for its many parks and green spaces, including Mill Pond Park, the Beaver Greenway Trail, and more.
Most residents of Richmond Hill own a vehicle, and that means that sourcing car insurance is a necessary and important part of life in this Ontario city. Finding the right policy at the most affordable price is every car owner’s goal, but it’s not always simple or straightforward. That’s why Westland Insurance is here to help. We take the frustration out of the process by doing the heavy lifting and offering you a selection of options that meet your needs. All that’s left for you to do is choose your favourite one!
Westland’s Richmond Hill location at 110 West Beaver Creek Rd. is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. One of our friendly and professional representatives will be happy to assist you online, by phone, or in person!
What Our Clients Are Saying
Deciding on an insurance company is no small matter. These are the people you depend on when things are at their worst and it is important to have individuals you… Read more
Deciding on an insurance company is no small matter. These are the people you depend on when things are at their worst and it is important to have individuals you can count on! As you can see from the 5 starts, I believe Westland meets this very high bar. BRENDA and KAREN are a phone call away for the questions I have and the challenges I need their advice on. We receive great pricing and great service from Westland, but more importantly, we have peace of mind. Work with this company with confidence!
Mrs. Kamran is hands down the best insurance broker I have ever worked with. She truly takes care of her clients as if we are her own family. She follows… Read more
Mrs. Kamran is hands down the best insurance broker I have ever worked with. She truly takes care of her clients as if we are her own family. She follows up regularly, always tries to get us the best rates and is extremely patient and informative. Mrs. Kamran, thank you for your help over the years with both our personal and commercial insurance and for always making sure we feel safely insured!
“Ms Kamran“ from “Walter Roberts Insurance Company” has always been great with helping me with my overall insurance needs based on her professional, broad and up to date insurance knowledge… Read more
“Ms Kamran“ from “Walter Roberts Insurance Company” has always been great with helping me with my overall insurance needs based on her professional, broad and up to date insurance knowledge and skills. I absolutely can not imagine a better insurance provider!
How Car Insurance in Richmond Hill Works
Car insurance is required by law in the province of Ontario, including in Richmond Hill. Driving uninsured is illegal and can result in serious penalties and fines.
Ontario car insurance is privatized, which means that vehicle owners have the freedom to shop around for the best and most affordable option for their needs. It’s overseen and regulated by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRAO), an entity that ensures all auto insurance policies include standard coverage options and are fairly priced, among other responsibilities.
In the province of Ontario, auto insurance operates on a no-fault model. In practice, this means that policyholders only submit claims and deal with their own insurance company no matter whether or not they’re at fault in a collision.
All Richmond Hill auto insurance plans must include the four following types of coverage:
- Third-Party Liability
- Liability coverage protects you in the event that you injure someone or damage property while driving. It covers expenses such as medical bills, repairs, legal fees, and more. Richmond Hill drivers must carry a minimum of $200,000 of this type of insurance.
- Accident Benefits
- No matter who’s deemed at fault, accident benefits cover your own personal medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses incurred as the result of a collision (up to the amount specified in your policy).
- Uninsured Automobile Insurance
- If you’re unfortunate enough to be the victim of a hit-and-run or are in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver, this type of insurance will cover your injuries and damages—but only if you’re not at fault in the collision.
- Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD)
- DCPD compensates you for damages to your vehicle resulting from a collision where you were not at fault.
Many Richmond Hill drivers seek auto insurance coverage that goes beyond the minimum. Some common enhanced coverage options include:
- Collision Coverage
- Collision coverage is similar to DCPD but covers repairs to your vehicle even in the event that you are at fault in a collision.
- Specified Perils Coverage
- Not all risks to your vehicle are from collisions. Specified perils coverage protects you against the risk of some specific common perils, as listed in your policy (floods, riots, theft, fire, and more).
- Comprehensive Auto Insurance
- Comprehensive auto insurance works similarly to specified perils coverage, except that instead of your policy including a list of specific perils, it includes a list of exclusions. All other damages are covered.
- All Perils
- This is the broadest category of coverage and goes beyond both specified perils and comprehensive auto insurance. It also protects you in the event that a household member or employee steals your vehicle.
Richmond Hill Car Insurance FAQ
Though each individual’s premium will be different, the average rate for auto insurance in Richmond Hill is a little over $2000 annually.
Richmond Hill’s average car insurance rate is among the highest in the province of Ontario. The provincial average is closer to $1,500 per year, while some cities, such as Kingston, have averages as low as $1100 or less. Richmond Hill’s higher rates are driven, at least in part, by the high density of drivers and the resulting number of collisions in the region.
A good insurance broker is the key to finding cheap car insurance quotes. Trust the professional and experienced brokers at Westland Insurance to find you the most affordable options available for your needs.
Many factors determine the cost of your auto insurance premium. Some are within your control, while others are not. They include:
- Your age, gender, and driving record
- Your vehicle’s model, age, and safety/theft ratings
- How much you drive and for what purpose
- Your postal code
- The type of coverage you purchase
Because young drivers don’t yet have a driving record, their insurance premiums are typically higher than for more experienced drivers with good driving habits. Students can often reduce their premiums by being added to the policy of a parent/guardian or by enrolling in additional driver’s education courses.
Like students, new immigrants may face higher auto insurance rates if they cannot produce evidence of a clean driving record from their previous insurance company. Submitting proper documentation to demonstrate good driving habits can be an asset.
Understandably, high-risk drivers face high insurance rates in the Richmond Hill area. While Westland Insurance can insure high-risk drivers, there are also specific insurance agencies that specialize in working with drivers in this category.
Car insurance isn’t free, but it doesn’t have to break the bank either. Here are a few strategies that may help you lower your auto insurance premiums in Richmond Hill:
- Comparing quotes
- Increasing your deductibles
- Maintaining a good driving record
- Making safety upgrades to your vehicle
- Purchasing a vehicle with good safety/theft ratings
- Bundling insurance for multiple vehicles or multiple types of insurance through the same provider
- Paying your insurance premiums on time
At Westland Insurance, we understand that every client is unique and that each interaction and auto insurance policy should be as well. Let us help you find the perfect auto insurance policy for your needs. Contact our Richmond Hill branch today online, by phone, or in person!