Tenant Insurance – British Columbia
Are you moving to your very first apartment in Vancouver? Brand new to Kelowna and renting a townhome? Planning to downsize and rent a place on Vancouver Island? Although you don’t own the property you’re now calling home, you have some of the same insurance needs as a homeowner. Rest easy knowing that whether you’re renting an apartment, townhome, or a suite in a high-rise building, we’ll help you get the right tenant coverage in British Columbia.
We understand it’s vital to protect what’s most important to you and your family. Our expert insurance advisors are here to ensure you’re protected and provide peace of mind so you can focus on what’s important in your life.
Why Choose Westland?
We know that your insurance needs to match your goals, your lifestyle and your budget. Our expert tenant insurance advisors get to know you, so that they can tailor a policy to your exact needs.
We’ll find the best coverage for you at the right price so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to.
Insurance can be complex sometimes. Let our expert insurance advisors do the heavy lifting! We’ll help you find a policy that you feel is the best fit and provides peace of mind. To learn more about the benefits of being a Westland client, Click here.
How Much Does Tenant Insurance Cost in BC?
Tenants insurance is a small investment considering the return. In most cases, it can be the same price as eating one meal out per month. Some factors that contribute to the premium cost include your location, the limits of insurance selected, and choice of deductible.
MyWestland makes accessing your information easy!
- Easily access your policy information and manage your account
- Report a claim and upload photos
- Check your claims status anytime
- View your policy details, including coverage and payment information
- Easy online payment options (pay now or pay monthly)
- Contact your advisor directly
Tenant Insurance Explained
Did you know that as a renter, your landlord’s home insurance won’t cover your belongings in the event of a fire, theft, or damage?
You’re also responsible for any damage that you cause to your building and for any accidental injuries incurred by someone while visiting the property.
Think about all the things you own, mainly how many boxes it would take to move all your belongings. Throughout the years, that can quickly accumulate. This goes beyond furniture, including electronics, clothing, jewellery, sporting equipment, and other valuables.
Renters need to have the right insurance to cover the expense of replacing their belongings if something happens. Keep in mind, most tenants’ policies have a limit on certain items. For example, if you are into mountain biking and have a high-end bike with accessories, you’ll want to ensure that you select a higher limit to reflect the actual value.
Did you get the go-ahead from your landlord to upgrade an aspect of your space? Tenants insurance covers everything that’s inside the walls of your area, including permanent upgrades. So that built-in stereo sound system or walk-in closet shelving system adds value to your space and is essential to consider when choosing your insurance limits.
Another critical aspect of tenant insurance is liability coverage, both for in your home and while you’re away. If an accident occurs and you cause damage to not only your unit but also the rest of the apartment building, you’re covered. For example, If you left something in the oven which led to a fire, you would be responsible for damages caused to any part of the building or apartment complex that you reside in. The same will apply if you are outside of your home and accidentally cause damage to another person or their property.
If something happens to your space and you aren’t able to stay there, your tenant policy will cover the cost of alternative living arrangements. It will also cover the cost of meals while you’re out of your home. Having something happen to your home can be extremely stressful. With tenant’s insurance, it can take away some of that stress to help you get to a sense of normalcy.
How Much Does Tenant Insurance Cost in BC?
|Tenant Insurance Location||Monthly Price|
Tenant insurance rates will vary from one city or town to the next in British Columbia. Insurance companies will use rate tables to create the price for home insurance within territories based on experience ratings, exposure to risk, claims data, etc. Pulling from our experience in BC, we’ve put together examples of monthly tenant insurance prices that we see most often. For a quote specific to your needs, connect with us today!
Review Your Insurance and Get a Quote with Westland
Ready to discuss your insurance needs? Our expert advisors are here to review your current insurance policies, discuss your unique needs, and find the perfect tenant insurance policy for you. Whether it’s over email, the phone or in person we are ready to help! To get started on a quote now and see price estimates for your tenant coverage, click the button below. Our advisors will contact you right away and help navigate your risk management needs. Of course, we are always available to talk over the phone or in person. Check out our locations page to connect with an office closest to you!
Optional Protection Available to Enhance Your Coverage
Based on your lifestyle and where you’re located, there may be additional coverages available to you, such as:
- Earthquake Coverage
- Home Based Business
- Glass Breakage
Ways To Save On Tenant Insurance in BC
- Customers 50 years of age or older
- Claims Free
- Local Alarm
- Monitored Alarm
- Sprinkler System
- Water Leak Detection Device
- Increase in Deductible
Water damage is the most common claim we see when it comes to tenants. For example, a pipe can burst in the ceiling in the unit that you rent and cause damage to your contents. Depending on the value and quantity of your property, this can cause damages of around $5,000. The right tenant insurance policy will help mitigate these risks and get you back to your normal as quickly as possible.
Our goal is to find the best coverage for you so that you can continue to live your life the way you want to. To learn more about being a Westland client, click here.
10 Fun Facts About British Columbia
- Vancouver Island is home to a waterfall that is eight times the height of Niagara Falls. The Della Falls waterfall can be found in Srathcona Provincial Park and is a whopping 440 metres in height.
- Half of all British Columbians can be found in Vancouver and the surrounding area.
- BC is home to the world’s largest hockey stick ; how Canadian! You can find it in the city of Duncan and is 62,000 lbs and 62.48 metres long.
- Whistler is known for its beautiful views and slopes. It also has the longest unsupported cable car system in the world. This cable connects the two peaks of the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort.
- BC is one of the top three producers of blueberries and cranberries globally.
- Meares Island is home to the Hanging Tree Garden , which is between 1,500 and 2,000 years old. It features some of the oldest Western Red Cedar trees.
- You can find a quarter of all grizzly bears and black bears in BC.
- Have you ever heard of bathtub racing? Nanaimo is the Bathtub Racing capital of the world, starting in 1967. To complete, you’ll need to use a bathtub as a boat.
- Lights, camera, action! BC is the fourth-largest television and film production centre in North America.
- Wine country lives in BC. Each year BC vineyards welcome over one million visitors. Over 929 vineyards cover more than 10,260 acres of land.
Need some help?
We'll help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.Claims
When you need us, we’re here. Connect with us.Contact Us
Visit Client Support
Check out our resources page for helpful content or connect with our client support team.Contact Client Support