What is travel insurance, and why do you need it?
Are you in the midst of plotting your next holiday? Perhaps you’re dreaming of a quick, rejuvenating weekend escape or you’re mapping out an epic, month-long journey crossing items off your bucket list. One critical aspect of travelling that often gets overlooked amidst the excitement of planning is travel insurance. Yet, it’s crucial to understand exactly what travel insurance is and why it’s so vital. It’s not just an afterthought or an unnecessary expense, but an investment in peace of mind. This guide will help you unravel the often-complex world of travel insurance so you can focus on what truly matters – enjoying your trip to the fullest.
Understanding travel insurance
In simple terms, travel insurance is a type of insurance that covers financial losses or medical expenses while travelling. It’s designed to protect you in case of unexpected events such as flight cancellations, lost luggage, or medical emergencies.
There are several types of travel insurance policies available, each offering different levels of coverage. Let’s look at real-world scenarios where these types of travel insurance would come into play:
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance: Imagine you’ve planned a two-week vacation in Greece, but a week before your departure, you fall ill, and your doctor advises against travelling. In this case, trip cancellation insurance would cover the non-refundable expenses of your pre-paid hotel reservations and flights, saving you from a significant financial loss. This coverage may also cover the cancellation of a trip due to a death in your immediate family.
- Medical travel insurance: Imagine you’re exploring the lush rainforests of Costa Rica and stumble and injure your leg. You find yourself far from the nearest medical facility and in need of urgent attention. Medical travel insurance would cover the costs of your emergency medical treatment and, if required, the expenses of arranging an air ambulance to transport you to the hospital.
- Baggage/personal belongings insurance: Let’s say you arrive in Paris for a romantic getaway, but your luggage doesn’t. It turns out your bags have been sent to Berlin and won’t arrive for two days. Baggage insurance would cover the cost of the necessary personal items you need to buy in the interim.
Who needs travel insurance?
The short answer is everyone who travels should consider purchasing travel insurance. Even if you’re young and healthy, unexpected events can happen while travelling that could leave you with hefty bills to pay. Plus, travel insurance isn’t just for international trips; it can also come in handy for domestic travel.
For instance, imagine you’re planning a domestic trip to explore the breathtaking national parks in your home country. You’ve made all the necessary reservations, from lodging to car rentals. But just a few days before your trip, a severe weather warning forces you to cancel your adventure. With travel insurance, the cost of your non-refundable reservations could be covered. Moreover, during your trip, suppose you experience a medical emergency; your regular health insurance may not provide coverage outside of your home state. In such cases, having travel insurance with health coverage could potentially save you from staggering medical bills. This example underscores the importance of travel insurance, not just for overseas journeys but also for domestic travels.
If you have health concerns, it’s especially crucial to have travel insurance. Most policies exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions, so make sure to disclose all your medical conditions when purchasing a policy.
Let Westland Insurance help you choose the right travel insurance policy!
When it comes to shopping for travel insurance, let our experts assist you in assessing the following factors to ensure you get the best coverage for your trip:
- Coverage limits: Make sure the policy covers all possible scenarios and has sufficient limits to cover any potential losses.
- Exclusions: Read through the exclusions carefully to understand what’s not covered by the policy.
- Deductibles: Check the deductibles and see if they’re reasonable and affordable for you.
- Claim process: Understand how to file a claim and what documentation is required.
- Travel destinations: Check if the policy covers the specific regions or countries you plan to visit, especially if you’re travelling to remote or high-risk areas.
- Emergency assistance services: Ensure the policy includes access to 24/7 emergency assistance services, such as a helpline for medical emergencies or travel assistance.
- Travel activities: If you plan to engage in adventurous activities like skiing or scuba diving, make sure the policy covers these activities.
- Travel duration: Verify that the policy covers the entire duration of your trip, from departure to return.
How to choose the right travel insurance policy
Let’s make it easy for you to pick the perfect travel insurance policy. Our expert team is here to assist you in assessing your needs and selecting the best policy for your trip. Leave the hassle to us and travel with peace of mind.
- Determine your needs: Consider where you’re travelling, for how long, and what activities you’ll be doing. This will help determine which type of coverage is most important for your trip.
- Ask questions: Don’t be afraid to ask your insurance provider any questions you may have. It’s essential to fully understand your policy before purchasing it.
- Read reviews: Look for reviews from other travellers to get an idea of their experiences with different insurance providers. This can help you make an informed decision.
Navigating through the buying experience
Remember, our team of experts is here to offer assistance and guidance. Let’s explore the process of purchasing travel insurance through Westland Insurance, a trusted Canadian insurance provider:
- Head to our Travel insurance page
- We take immense pride in our invaluable partnerships with industry leaders Allianz and Tugo, offering unparalleled coverage options. With just a click of the “buy with” button at the top of the page, you can secure the perfect insurance option that suits your needs.
- From there, you’ll be directed into an online purchasing process and can follow the prompts.
- Select the policy that best suits your needs and click “Buy Now.”
- Fill in your personal information and payment details.
- Review the policy documents and confirm your purchase.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully purchased travel insurance! Remember to keep a copy of your policy and contact information for the insurance provider with you while travelling in case of any emergencies. With the right travel insurance coverage, you can have peace of mind knowing that you’re protected against unforeseen events that may occur during your trip. Happy travels!
Travel insurance is an essential aspect of any trip, providing financial protection and peace of mind while travelling. With various types of coverage available and factors to consider when choosing a policy, it can be overwhelming to navigate through the buying process. However, by understanding the importance of travel insurance and following our tips on how to choose the right policy, you can ensure that you have adequate coverage for your trip.
So, before your next adventure, make sure to invest in a suitable travel insurance policy. You never know when it might come in handy! Prefer to speak directly with one of our insurance professionals? Click below to get in touch with us!