Autoplan & Basic ICBC Car Insurance Coverage in BC
All BC motorists must purchase Basic Autoplan insurance that provides you with five key benefits including:
- Third Party Liability - Protects you from claims made by other motorists for injuries or material damage if you are found responsible for a crash (to a maximum of $200,000). To protect yourself from the increasing costs of injuries and settling claims, we recommend you consider purchasing Additional Third Party Liability Coverage.
- Accident Benefits - Pays for injury treatment costs such as rehabilitation and medical expenses, loss of wages or benefits and costs to do with a crash-related death (regardless of who was at fault in the crash).
- Under-insured Motorist Protection - Covers you and other members of your household in cases where a motorist causes a crash but has no insurance – or not enough to pay for all of the injuries caused.
- Protection Against Hit-and-Run and Uninsured Motorists - Covers you if you are injured or killed by a hit-and-run or uninsured motorist (to a maximum of $200,000).
- Inverse Liability Coverage - Covers you for damage to your vehicle in parts of Canada and the U.S. where the law restricts you from recovering your losses from a driver who causes a crash.
For more information about Basic Autoplan, contact the Westland Insurance Group office that’s most convenient for you or call our Telecentre at 604-543-7788 or toll free at 1-800-899-3093.
Basic Autoplan only covers you in Canada and the United States. So, if you're planning on driving into Mexico (or taking your car abroad for a holiday) make sure you buy insurance before crossing the border.
For more detailed information on Autoplan coverages and restrictions, go to the ICBC web site.
The cost of your Basic Autoplan is determined by ICBC but depends on a number of factors:
- Your claims record
- Where you live and operate your vehicle
- How you use your vehicle
- The type of vehicle you drive
Find out how to reduce your vehicle insurance costs in our Save on Auto Insurance information.